Tuesday, April 10, 2012

An Experiment: See Yourself

It's unfortunate that perhaps the most personally important post that I put up for CS 404 comes during the final week in which no one will probably read it. I've had issues in the past with being on the computer for untold hours doing nothing productive and finding myself utterly addicted to the nothingness in front of me. My mind runs relentlessly, and I'm only reminded that I have a body attached when I've got to pee.

For the computer addict that can't seem to break the habit, I propose a solution. The premise is simple: I want to remind you who you are. Constantly. If you could see yourself going about your activities the way other people see you, would you be happy to watch yourself? Here's an application to let you do just that: CamDesk.

This is a quick utility that displays your webcam on your desktop. No install, just download and run. You can change the opacity of the image, its size, and position on the screen (by holding ctrl + mouse drag). Right click on the image to control the properties. Here's a quick candid while typing this blog post:

In short, amigos: Mosiah 4:30. I hope this helps you as much as it is helping me to control my computer usage. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment